Alexandre Tharaud started the piano at a very young age. His first teacher, Carmen Taccon-Devenat, a former student of Marguerite Long, taught him a lot more than music: she taught him to breathe with the instrument and let himself be guided by his own impressions. He entered the Paris Conservatory and graduated in piano after studying with Germaine Mounier. He also trained with Theodor Paraskivesco, Claude Helffer, Leon Fleisher and Nikita Magaloff.
In 1987, Alexandre Tharaud won a prize in the Maria Canals International Piano Competition in Barcelona, then another in the "Citta di Senigallia" International Piano Competition in Italy. In 1989, he won second prize in the ARD International Music Competition in Munich. He has given recitals all over the world: in the Cologne Philharmonic Hall, Wigmore Hall in London, the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam and the Suntory Hall in Tokyo. He also performs with orchestras in France and abroad under prestigious conductors such as Bernard Labadie, Georges Prêtre and Marc Minkowski. In November 2011, he toured Europe with renowned baroque ensemble Les Violons du Roy.
Alexandre Tharaud has recorded numerous works from very diverse periods (Couperin, Bach, Chopin, Ravel, Satie and Thierry Pécou). He has won several awards for his discs, including the Académie Charles-Cros Grand Prix du Disque (in 1997 and 2003). In 2009, the French Ministry of Culture made him a Chevalier de l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres (Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters). Alexandre Tharaud's latest recording, Le Boeuf sur le toit, is devoted to the musical world of the roaring twenties.
Six landmark dates in the life of Alexandre Tharaud
- 1987 won a prize in the Maria Canals International Piano Competition in Barcelona
- 1989 won 2nd prize in the ARD International Music Competition in Munich
- 1997 became musical adviser for concerts organised by BnF, the National Library of France
- 2009 performed a show on Erik Satie with François Morel
- 2011 artistic director of the Amadeus Festival
- 2012 instrumental soloist of the year at the Victoires de la musique classique awards
Six key recordings by Alexandre Tharaud
- 2003 Intégrale de l’œuvre pour piano (complete piano works), Ravel (Harmonia Mundi Classique)
- 2006 Sonate pour Arpeggione, Schubert – Pièces op. 5, Berg – Pièces op. 11, Webern, with Jean-Guilhen Queyras (Harmonia Mundi Classique)
- 2009 Avant-dernières pensées, Satie (Harmonia Mundi)
- 2011 Concertos pour piano, Bach, with the ensemble "Les Violons du Roy" conducted by Bernard Labadie (Virgin Classics)
- 2011 Alexandre Tharaud joue Scarlatti (EMI)
- 2012 Intégrale de l’œuvre pour piano (complete piano works), Chabrier (A