Janine Jansen is a Dutch violinist and is among the best performers of her generation. She is requested by many prestigious orchestras throughout the world.
Born in a family of musicians, Janine Jansen started studying the violin at the age of 6. She had for teachers Philippe Hirschhorn and Boris Belkin among others. She performed for the first time in 1997 with the Concertgebouw of Amsterdam. Then she got noticed as a soloist during her interpretation of the Violin Concerto by Brahms with the National Youth Orchestra of Scotland in 2001.
Janine Jansen’s career was definitely launched when she received a national high distinction from the Dutch Ministry of Culture in 2003. She had the opportunity to open the BBC Proms festival in 2005. Janine Jansen quickly gained a big success among the public and conductors: every year she tours throughout the world and is invited by reputed orchestras like the Berlin Philharmonic (2006) or the Los Angeles Philharmonic (2008). She was offered several distinctions including the Royal Philharmonic Society Instrumentalist Award in 2009.
Janine Jansen recorded a great deal of chamber music, like her collaboration with Naxos and the Spectrum Concerts Berlin. She also released a few albums including concertos (Mendelssohn, Bruch, Beethoven, Britten) and pieces for solo violin (Bach). The critics have warmly applauded her recordings.
Six landmark dates in the life of Janine Jansen
• 1997: began her career with the Concertgebouw of Amsterdam
• 2003: Dutch music distinction awarded by the Ministry of Culture
• 2005: opened the BBC Proms festival
• 2006: played with the Berlin Philharmonic
• 2008: played with the Los Angeles Philharmonic
• 2009: « Royal Philharmonic Society Instrumentalist Award »
Six key recordings by Janine Jansen
• 2006: The Fours Seasons, Vivaldi (Decca)
• 2007: Concertos & Romance, Mendelssohn and Bruch, with the Gewandhausorchester conducted by Riccardo Chailly (Decca)
• 2008: Violin Concerto, Tchaikovsky, with the chamber orchestra Gustav Mahler conducted by Daniel Harding (Decca)
• 2012: Violin Concerto, Beethoven et Britten, with Die Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen and the London Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Paavo Järvi (Decca)
• 2012: Violin Concerto n°2 - Violin sonatas, Prokofiev, with the London Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Vladimir Jurowski (Decca)
• 2013: Schubert / Schönberg (Decca)