Philippe Jaroussky is a French countertenor. His particular timbre and the technical master he has of each piece’s nuances led him to gain a huge recognition on the international music scene.
Philippe Jaroussky started to play the violin when he was eleven years old and then went on to learn the piano. When he turned eighteen, he began to work on his voice. He chose to study with Nicole Fallien, who taught the tenor Fabrice di Falco. In 2001, he graduated in singing (old-style music department) from the Paris Conservatoire with the honors of the jury.
Philippe Jaroussky’s repertoire covers all the styles of the baroque period: Monteverdi, Rossi, Haendel, Vivaldi… The countertenor also explored the French melodies and didn’t neglect the contemporary music. In 2012 he created in Metz the leading role of Suzanne Giraud’s opera Caravaggio. He performed on many stages and festivals with the best baroque ensembles, such as les Arts Florissants (William Christie), les Musiciens du Louvre Grenoble (Marc Minkowski), le Concert d’Astrée (Emmanuelle Haïm), or the ensemble Matheus (Jean-Christophe Spinosi).
In 2002, Philippe Jaroussky founded the ensemble Artaserse that tours all over Europe.
Six landmark dates in the life of Philippe Jaroussky
• 1999: first recital at the Théâtre Grévin in Paris
• 2002: created the ensemble Artaserse (theorbo, baroque harp, viola da gamba, harpsichord, organ)
• 2007 and 2010: Lyrical Artist of the Year at the Victoires de la Musique
• 2008: Singer of the Year at the Echo Klassik Awards
• 2008: « Hommage à Carestini » nominated Record of the Year at the Victoires de la Musique
• 2009: appointed Chevalier des Arts et des Lettres
Six key recordings by Philippe Jaroussky
• 2004: Un concert pour Mazarin (La musique italienne dans les collections françaises du Grand Siècle), with the ensemble Fenice conducted by Jean Tubéry (Virgin Veritas / EMI Classics)
• 2006: Heroes, Vivaldi opera tunes, with the ensemble Matheus conducted by Jean-Christophe Spinosi (Virgin Classics)
• 2007: Carestini : The story of a castrato (Virgin Classics)
• 2008 : Nisi Dominus – Stabat Mater, Vivaldi, with Marie-Nicole Lemieux and the ensemble Matheus conducted by Jean-Christophe Spinosi (Naive)
• 2009: Faramondo, Handel, with Max Emanuel Cencic and the ensemble I Barocchisti conducted by Diego Fasois (Virgin Classics)
• 2012: L’Artaserse, Vinci, with Max Emanuel Cencic and the Concerto Köln conducted by Diego Fasolis (Virgin Classics)
Official website: http://www.philippejaroussky.fr/