Sonya Yoncheva is a soprano known for winning the prestigious Operalia Competition in 2010. In 2013, she made her debut at the Paris Opera in "Lucia di Lammermoor", highly acclaimed by critics.
After studying music in her hometown, Sonya Yoncheva won many national competitions in Bulgaria. In 2003, she participated in the gala concert organised by Mirella Freni and Nicolai Ghiaurov at the Teatro dal Verme in Milan. During the following years, she won many awards, like the special prize of Amis du Festival d’Aix en Provence (in 2007) and the Swiss "Mosetti" and "Hablitzel" scholarships.
In 2005, Sonya Yoncheva sang Isabella in Rossini’s L’inganno felice (The Fortunate Deception), and in Janáček’s The Cunning Little Vixen; she continued with the role of Giunone (Juno) in Monteverdi’s Il ritorno d’Ulisse in patria and as Norina in Don Pasquale (by Donizetti). Since 2007, she has been performing with William Christie’s musical ensemble, Les Arts Florissants, on the best international stages: The Barbican Centre in London, the Lincoln Center in New York City, The Cité de la Musique in Paris, The Auditorio Nacional de Música in Madrid… She has been directed by renowned conductors including Marc Minkowski, Emmanuelle Haïm and Diego Fasolis.
In 2011, Yoncheva enjoyed great success thanks to her role as Cleopatra in Handel’s Giulio Cesare in Egitto, in The Pearl Fishers (Bizet) at the Opéra Comique, in Agrippina and L’incoronazione di Poppea (The Coronation of Poppea) by Monteverdi at the Opéra de Lille. In 2013, she triumphed in Lucia di Lammermoor (Donizetti), which is her first role at the Paris Opera.
Five landmark dates in the life of Sonya Yoncheva
• 2000: she won the Bulgarian classical music competition
• 2001: she won the German and Austrian classical music competition in Bulgaria
• 2007: she received the special prize Amis du Festival d’Aix en Provence for her performance as Fiordiligi in Così fan tutte (Mozart)
• 2007: she participated in the Jardin des Voix by William Christie
• 2010: she won Plácido Domingo's Operalia competition at the Teatro alla Scala in Milan
Two key recordings by Sonya Yoncheva
• 2011 [DVD]: "Baroque Académie – William Christie and Jardin des Voix" (Bel Air Classique)
• 2013 [DVD]: Monteverdi’s The Coronation of Poppea, with Le Concert d’Astrée, conducted by Emmanuelle Haïm (Erato/Virgin Classics)